Ford Motor Company is moving into a new phase of its 100+ year history. Today’s automobiles have moved from isolated mechanical devices to complex, connected, networked computing platforms. We envision a world where vehicles are part of a smart ecosystem enabled by vehicle-to-everything connectivity (often called V2X) enabling seamless user experiences and new business opportunities. The Connectivity System Research Engineer will be part of a research team responsible for developing and evaluating vehicle connectivity technologies for automotive applications. Position responsibilities include research and development on emerging connectivity technologies, working with internal teams and external partners to develop new concepts, deliver proof-of-concepts and technical assessments. The ideal candidates will have extensive background in wireless connectivity and will be exceptionally creative, motivated and talented engineers with strong interdisciplinary background in science & engineering with solid programming skills.
- Responsible for interfacing with other departments and organizations to develop and evaluate connectivity technologies.
- Design/develop proof-of-concepts and/or simulations for evaluating suitability of connectivity technologies for automotive environments.
- Translate promising technologies into advanced projects that will add value to the business.
- Develop and scope research proposals in the area of vehicle connectivity with Universities and external partners.
- Collaborate with a team of cross-functional domain experts.
- Perform technical evaluation of emerging automotive connectivity technologies and support Ford’s participation in standards development organizations and industry consortiums as appropriate.
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer science or related degree
- 2+ years of work and/or academic research experience with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Cellular (LTE/5G) technologies
- 2+ years of work and/or academic research experience with programming C/C++, Java and embedded system software
- 1+ years of work and/or academic research experience with network simulators such as NS-3, Qualnet
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related degree
- Hands-on experience in developing Embedded systems software
- Familiarity with automotive systems and networks such as CAN, Ethernet
- Familiarity with or experience in one or more of the following: Cellular V2X, 5G NR V2X, satellite communications, mobile ad hoc systems
- Ability to innovate quickly through proof of concept development balanced with a commitment to process discipline to ensure quality deliveries into the enterprise
- Familiarity with standards development organizations and processes such as 3GPP, IEEE, Bluetooth SIG, etc.
- Cross-functional product development in hardware, software and firmware
- Excellent multi-tasking and interpersonal communication skills
Join our team as we create tomorrow! We believe in putting people first, working together, and facing challenges head-on, because we’re Built Ford Tough. We’re one team striving to make people’s lives better while creating value, delivering excellence and ultimately going for the win.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
Ford Motor Company is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.